Tuesday, November 17, 2015

MOMMY JOURNAL - PART 1

As I walk into the doors yet again, I am filled with dread.  I hate coming to this place and for this reason.  I hate the smells of the entire building, so clean it holds a stench.  I hate seeing all these people in either scrubs or lab coats.  It’s depressing to know that I have to spend yet another day in this place, trying to keep my spirits up in order to not be a burden to her.  As I ride in the elevator, I am both relieved and anxious about being alone.  I am relieved because I know the tears will come.  I am anxious because I don’t want them to come.  You would think my tear ducts would stop creating tears.  I don’t eat, don’t drink, and barely sleep, so I am not sure where they are coming from.  As I ride up in the elevator, I try to hold my breath, floor 2.  On the third floor, I exhale loudly.  On the fourth floor, I feel my eyes watering.  On the fifth floor, one sole tear escapes and rolls down my cheek.  On the sixth floor, my destination floor, tears are streaming down my face, but there is no sound, silent tears.  As the door dings and opens, I wipe my tears and take several calming, deep breaths.  My self-talk, “get it together, you can do this!  You will not walk in there with tears running down your face!  You will be strong for her!”  I get to the room, gently push the door open, and walk in.  I look towards the bed, and I see my mom.


How do you prepare for someone you love to die?  I mean, you see them every day struggling to stay in this world, for what?  For me?  My mom was holding on literally for dear life for her children.  Me, the baby of the bunch, refused to believe that my mom would leave me.  I mean, I had two sisters, but only one mom.  How could she leave?  Could I let her go?  She appeared to be sleeping when I walked in so I took a seat next to her bed and began to pray.  I prayed for healing.  I prayed for longevity of life.  I prayed every prayer I knew to pray, silently.  I touched her hand, and held on.  There was a sixth sense that this would be our last time alone.  At one point my mom opened her eyes and looked directly at me and said, “I am ready.  I am not scared.”  My heart broke.  My world shook.  My breath was gone.  “NNNNOOOOOOOO!” rang in my head, but no words came from my mouth.  I couldn’t chance trying to voice anything.  My mother; my rock, my world, closed her eyes, squeezed my hand, and went back to sleep.  I stayed for at least another hour.  I had to savor that moment.  

Not until my children called, did I find the strength to move.  So, in slow motion, I stood, and walked to the dreaded isolation box called the elevator.  It seemed it took an eternity to get to the first floor.  I headed to the exit, hating and loving the doors at the same time.  Loving it, because I was going to get away from the stench, the lab coats, the scrubs, and the dread.  Hating it, because I was leaving my mother in this place of death preparation.  For, all they could do was “keep her comfortable”.  What exactly does that mean?  I should have asked when I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment