Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thankful




Several years ago there was this man who wanted to get into a relationship with me.  This individual was successful in his business dealings and he was financially set.  He made a point to inform me how much he was worth, and that he could provide for me in any way.  The only thing was this man was married with a family.  When I asked him about this, he responded that he was not happy in the marriage and that his wife had cheated on him years ago causing a lack of trust.  I asked why had he not divorced his wife and moved on with his life.  His excuse was that they had children, and as soon as the youngest child was in college he was going to file for divorce, but he didn’t want to break up their family and cause that turmoil on his children. 

I could understand his reasoning, but I could not understand how he was willing to do the very thing that caused him to distrust his wife.  I was also offended that he thought I would be a part of his plan, while waiting for at least eight years for his youngest child to graduate high school.  Needless to say, I did not get involved in this relationship even after countless attempts.  This married man would plan trips to come and visit me, and I would be unavailable because I knew the purpose of the visit.  This person would call me at all times of night until I blocked his number.  He would contact me via facebook messenger to have lengthy conversations until I expressed to him that this was not for me, and I unfriended him.  He was persistent.  As a single mother, there were times that I considered his proposal, because my money was not as vast as his.  However, I never acted on the consideration.

I am glad that I never fell into the trap of lies this man fed me, because today, his youngest child is probably around thirty years of age and he and his wife are still married.  I am not sure if they are happily married or not, but the point is they are still married.

So, during this Thanksgiving season, I would like to express that I am thankful that I did not allow the lure of financial gifts to draw me into a relationship that would have devalued who I am and dishonored my Christian beliefs.  I am thankful that I waited for the man, the King that God had for me.  I am thankful that I am in a loving, caring, productive, honest, and faithful relationship with a man who values me and my faith.




No comments:

Post a Comment