Monday, October 26, 2015

Good Communication Is Key

Recently I was forced to pay close attention to how I communicate with others.  I tend to utilize brutal honesty in cases when I am tired or extremely frustrated.  I tend to shut down when I am angry, and I am closed off when hurt.  I am overly responsive when things are good.  So, this wonderful array of responses can really throw someone off their game when communicating with me.  A person is not sure what type of response they will get from me, because they are not sure what emotion I am going through that day.

During a training, the topic of communication was brought up, and I was slapped with the fact that my communication style is not the best.  Though humans are emotional beings, this does not automatically give me the right to respond in my emotions, spewing confusion onto those who have no clue what is going on in my personal or professional life.  My bluntness often comes as a form of attack and a first strike.  If I strike you first, you are less likely to rebut.  This is a form of aggression and not acceptable in most circles. 

I have been forced to look within and find the root of my behaviors and I am glad to say that I am learning things about myself that I have paid little or no attention to in the past.  I know there is always room for improvement, and I tend to improve upon myself until I am no longer breathing.
I ask you all to do the same.  Look within and find out what can be improved upon in your lives and make the necessary changes to be the best you you can be.  It will not be an easy feat, trust me.  However, once you have changed one thing for the better, you will be encouraged to continue the process.  This change is not for anyone else’s benefit, but for yourself. 

Communication is a large part of my everyday life.  I need to know that when I communicate with others, that there is no malice and no misinterpretation of what I am saying.  I need the people to know that what I say comes from a place of honesty and consideration. 


There is a saying that you only get one chance to make a first impression.  While this may be true, there are still opportunities in any relationship to either build or severe.  I choose to build.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment